Wednesday, October 21, 2009

5 Little Words #3

5 Little Words Again!  As I mentioned before, Rxbambi sent me 5 words to comment on.  (A little meme started by Little Ms Blogger).  So here's the third word: 

Hand-made Art

Well, that's really two words, unless you want to call the compound word two words.  In that case, it's three words.  But, oh well, I love hand-made art.

Here is an ATC (artist trading card) I made some time ago.  I've made several others, but have only traded a few.  That's the point of ATC.  You make them, then trade them.  It's a fun way to have a little hand-made art without spending a fortune.

I also love altered books and other altered stuff.  My wonderful sister, you know her as rxbambi, made me a great altered book.  It's full of pictures and stories from our youth.  I've included the page from our trip with our parents to Hawaii.  On the opposite page is our dear departed Bonnie Jean.  Our first dog.
I've done a couple of altered books myself.  The Play Ball book and the Best Friends book on the shelf are a couple I've done.  The one on the far left is one my son made in art class.

I like to buy hand-made art and hand-made other stuff too.  I've got some of the lovely stones that Julochka makes.  Sis bought those for me for my birthday.  We have two paintings in our house bought at a local gallery when we lived in Birmingham, AL.  I've got a painting on my mantle that was painted for my grandparents.  It's a lovely landscape of Pleasant Valley, NY.  It was painted in the 1940's or 1950's.  And I've got a portrait of my grandfather painted by his secretary probably in the 1960's or early 70's.  I posted a while back about some art I bought at the local farmer's market.  And I've got artwork from my kids all over the place.

When I was younger I didn't really appreciate art.  And to be honest, I can't spend long days staring at artwork in a museum.  I get overwhelmed, I think.  Then I can't appreciate what the artist was trying to say.  
This past weekend the local artist community held their annual ArtEast event.  Local artists either open their personal studios or take their art to galleries or other places (restaurants, banks, libraries, etc. love to participate).  They provide a map and viewers can go from place to place, visit with the artists, purchase art if they wish, eat snacks and drink wine.  It's a great time.  I'm inspired and would love to do some art to show.  My main problem is finding the time while parenting 3 boys, doing a buttload of laundry, keeping food on the table, etc.

I also like to make cards and do scrapbooks.  How about you?  What are your thoughts on hand-made art?

3 comments:

Mike said...

I did not know that you were so artsy! I love the idea of that book. I need to see what is cookin at Bambi's, I have not been there in 2 days.

Betsy Brock said...

Hi! Bambi sent me! :) I'm enjoying looking at your blog!

rxBambi said...

You shouldn't have shown my book, I'm not nearly as fartsy as you! Your books are awesome!