Thursday, December 16, 2010

Final exam



I'm giving my final exam today.  It started at 2:00.  It's 2:22 and a student has just turned hers in.  She's a good student.  And I'm sure she'll get an A.
There's one student I don't recognize at all.  I'm curious to see who she is.  With close to 50 students in each section (there are two sections), I can't expect to know all of the students.  And I know there are some that only come on exam day.  But at least I recognize them all.  Except for her.  Hmmm.

I have one student who came to the exam today.  He was supposed to take it Tuesday but didn't show.  Then I got an email from him saying that he thought the exam was Wednesday.  So I let him take it today.  He's a good kid and I believe he just made a mistake.  When I was in college most of my professors would have said "too bad.  you screwed up.  it's not my fault.  you lose."  But, well, I just can't be that mean.  It would be different if he wanted to take it next week or something.

There's another one that was supposed to take it Tuesday but had a big anatomy final the same day.  So I said she could take it today.  But I wonder what she is doing in an anatomy class.  This bio class if for non-science majors.

Now about half the class has finished.  It's 2:31.  They have an hour and 40 minutes.  And there are 100 multiple choice questions on the final.  So 31 minutes means they spent about 3 minutes on each question.  I guess that's about right.  You either know it or you don't.  I have 7 students left in here.  I know one of them will take a bit longer than the others.

The mystery girl has turned hers in.  She is in this class!  She only took 2 of the 4 exams.  And missed 6 of the 8 quizzes.  And hasn't turned in any of the assignments.  But she's here for the final?  Hmmmm.  I'm not thinking she'll pass.  But I'll wait until the finals are graded to see.

Does chewing on one's hoodie string help one to think?  I guess so.  We'll see.

I've really enjoyed this semester.  It's my first one back after a long, hard, grueling stint as a stay-at-home mom.  Don't get me wrong, I love my kids.  But it's hard work!  I'm not sure I'm cut out for it.  You'd probably think the same thing if you knew my kids!

And I guess I've done alright.  They've asked me back to teach next semester.  I'm just an adjunct.  Bottom of the heap.  And they only give me a semester by semester contract.  But I'm cool with that.  I'm not ready to jump back in full time.  My kids are unhappy that I'm working again.  They (the two little ones, anyway) want me to work at Subway if I'm going to work at all.  Otherwise, they want me at home.  Funny since my classes occur while they are in school.  So why would they care?  I don't teach at night or on the weekends?  Funny devils.

Well, I'm down to one student.  She's been the only one for about 10 minutes.  She still has 40 minutes until her time is up.  But I hope she doesn't take the whole time.  I'm ready to get these dropped off at testing services to be graded and get home.  The kids are there today.  It's a snow day.  And they (the two younger ones) hate it when I leave them with their big brother.  And they are staying with him tonight since hubby and I are going out.
Brotherly love.

Hope you are all having a great day!  And if you are a student, good luck on exams!

No comments: