Sunday, November 9, 2008

If I were a poet


If I were a poet, which I'm not, I'd love to write a poem with the title "There are dinosaurs in my shower".  The reason, of course, is that there are dinosaurs in my shower.  Two of them.  And there are also two turtles.  For some reason, the kids love to take a shower in my bathroom.
There's also an airplane on my dresser - it has a broken propeller I need to fix.  I guess that could go into the poem somewhere too.

Spooky, this fine looking fellow, is making it hard for me to write in this blog.  He wants attention and I'm the only one in the house he wants attention from.

Spooky has an interesting story.  He has been with us now for about 2 and a half years.  But the first time we saw him was in 2002.  We were living in Birmingham, AL at the time.  We saw a beautiful white cat in the neighborhood, but he wanted nothing to do with us.  The neighbors all assured us that he was a stray and they all referred to him as the sewer cat.  Then miss Ginger came along.  We noticed the cat hanging around more.  He was very shy, but would hang out on the deck with Ginger and would accept a hotdog from the grill.
Because he was hanging out with our dog, and because rabies is a big problem in Alabama with all the raccoons around, I caught Spooky and took him to the vet.  He'd already been neutered, so he apparently had belonged to someone, sometime.  We started feeding him and set him up some shelter on the deck.  
Anyway, when we found out we were moving, we had to bring Spooky with us.  He spent about a year hiding in the basement but he eventually made it to the main part of the house and will now hang out with the dogs and me.  He's still wary of the children, but he's getting better.  I assume he is happier here than in a sewer in Alabama.  At least I hope he is.

No comments: